Katsidoni (530 m altitude) a village about 16 km from Sitia on the road to Karidi. In the Venetian census of 1583 Cazzidoni is listed with 213 inhabitants and Sandali which also belongs to the same community with 371. Sandali is almost deserted nowadays.
On the nearby mountain of Prinias (803m). a sanctuary was found on the peak which rises directly above the hamlets belonging to Piskokefalo (Metochia Piskokefalou). The site was authenticated in 1967 but not explored until 1971.
Even though it had been pillaged to a great extent, the finds were interesting enough to show that it was one of the most important peak sanctuaries of Eastern Crete. Clay likenesses of the rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes Nasicornis), a species of scarab, were among the finds. G. Spiridakis, a well-known professor of the University of Athens and whose subject was folklore, came from this village.
There are a number of caves in the Katsidoni district, the most interesting of which are Geros Spilios and Kato Platyvolo.
The origin of the name of the village is unknown.
From the book “Sitia”, N.Papadakis, Arcaeologist