Sitia, Makrigialos, Ierapetra... Everything about East Crete...


Traditional Villages in Eastern Crete :

Sitia :: Palekastro :: Ierapetra

Lastros by Sitia

 

 
 

This is the last village of the District of Sitia οn the road to Agios Nikolaos and is 35 km distant from Sitia itself. Lastros is probably a prehistoric name. The Venetians listed it in 1583 as Lastro with 285 inhabitants.

Today, even though it is one of the most beautiful villages of the whole District, it is in danger of being deserted. Α Minoan settlement and a necropolis of the Late Μinoan period have been located in the area, and at Langades two more graves of the same period were found. Finds of the Archaic period also turned up in the Kinigospilios cave. The church of Ayios Georgios in the village is Byzantine, but the frescoes have been whitewashed over and destroyed, and the only remaining thing of interest is the Venetian bell dated 1609.

From the book "Sitia", N.Papadakis, Arcaeologist,1983

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 

Cretan Creations NETWORK: The guide of Crete | Greek Directory | Hotels on Crete | Accommodation Directory
East Crete Business Catalog | Real Estate Directory
Hotels and accommodation in Crete: Hotels Villas Apartments Studios Rooms to rentThe greek business directory (in Greek language)The comlete Crete Travel Guide
Web Design - Search engine Optimization - Dynamic ContentAdd your sale or rental Property for Free!!
Copyright © 2003 - 2017 www.crete-today.com - All Rights Reserved. Created by Cretan Creations